Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Taking Control


"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." Albert Einstein

If you pause too long to dwell on what's behind you, you will inevitably crash. If you look too far ahead of you, you're also bound to run into something. Lately I've been feeling restless. I am very ready to travel to the north of France this weekend; I have a feeling it will be a very welcome change of scenery. City life is great, it's never dull (and if it is you're probably not taking full advantage of the city), there's always activity, always motion. Most of the time, this is what I crave--a locale that's bustling all hours of the day. But sometimes a break (or une petite pause if you will...the french word seems to be more fitting in this sense) is necessary.

And I think what's been missing from this experience for me so far is that curiosity that I had in Spain. I miss the mentality, the "Where are we going to go this weekend?" way of thinking. While I am enchanted with Paris (I think I fall in love with this city a little more every day), it can be very overwhelming. The Parisians with their "savoir-faire," are at times intimidating. For instance, the other day, it was absolutely gorgeous outside, mid 50's and sunny. So instead of staying in my room, I decided to venture out to a cafe along the canal and do my homework there. I searched for a cafe that had relatively low prices and was on the lookout for the tell-tale "zone wi-fi" sign (pronounced wee-fee :) ) I found one no more than a block from our apartment. I walked in, said an apprehensive Bonjour to the men behind the counter, and since they did not direct me to a table, I found one myself towards the back of the restaurant. There was a waitress there serving the people around me, but she refused to make eye contact with me. I started to question my decision to sit down without ordering. But no, there was a drink menu at my table, why would there be a menu if you were supposed to order when you walk in? But the waitress left, and another waiter came in to begin his shift. As he cleared the tables around me, I tried to get his attention. But to no avail. At this point I've already opened my laptop and have been using the wi-fi. I'm afraid if I leave, they will be angry that I used the wi-fi without buying anything. So I apprehensively approach the bar and explain that I would like a cafe noisette and that no one had come to take my order. The man behind the bar seemed shocked (however, I couldn't make out whether or not this was sarcasm). He apologized and repeated my order--un cafe noisette.


So I continue to do my homework, anxiously awaiting my caffeine fix. And I watch the tables around me fill with people. I watch them order. I watch their drinks come. But no cafe noisette. At this point in time I've been there almost an hour. Had I been in the US and this happened I would have complained to someone and remedied the problem. But here is that I don't have a broad enough vocabulary to complain politely. And of course I assume that I am the one that doesn't know what I'm doing. Even though my instinct tells me otherwise, I question whether or not I messed up somehow. Maybe I was supposed to order when I walked in? Maybe I wasn't supposed to sit in this section? Maybe I mis-pronounced my order and they didn't understand? Maybe they're just being rude and I should take it as a cue to leave?

I finally flag down yet another waiter and order again. And he promptly brought out the coffee I had been waiting for. Finally.

Yesterday, I did the scariest thing I've ever done in my life to date. I walked head-on at a pigeon on the sidewalk. Okay so that's not really that scary, but anyone who knows me, knows that I am terrified of birds. Aunt Mary can attest that the last time I was in Paris I would honest to God, walk to the other side of the street to avoid pigeons. So for me...that was groundbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment